Black Lentil Salad with Sweet Potato and Pomegranate
By: Leah Shomron Finder, Healthycooking.co.il
Translated By Lily Aronin
I chose to feature this recipe for plenty of reasons: You can make any lentil salad variation after mastering this recipe. I love the simplicity of the flavors and the scarcity of ingredients. Who has time for a recipe that uses to may steps or ingredients? You can make the components up to 5 days in advance and throw the salad to together at any time.
Health benefits from this recipe:
Black Lentils: Half your daily serving of iron and have a large dose of soluble fiber to boost immunity and lower bad cholesterol.
Sweet potatoes are full of vitamin A B6 and beta carotene. They are most effective when paired with a healthy fat like olive oil. They also have a large oxidative effect to our cells which promotes repair and healing. Healthy cells equals a reduced chance of cancer.
Pomegranate seeds have potent anti inflammatory anti-oxidents like flavonoids and polyphenols which are shown to help prevent cancer and heart disease. They are shown to help reduce blood pressure and help to open blood vessels for over all improved blood flow to the body.
1 Cup Dry Black Lentils
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic Crushed
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 Cup Raw Walnut Halves
1/2 Small Red Onion
1/2 Pomegranate Seeded
Optional 100 gm Sheep CheeseDressing
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 Lemon Juiced
Salt/Pepper to Taste
1. In a medium pot boil the lentils in 3 cups boiling water for 25-30 minutes until soft by hold their shape.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius 350 Fahrenheit
3. Cut the sweet potato into small cubes and toss with the olive oil, crushed garlic and dried thyme. Place in one layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Bake for 25 minutes until soft and caramelized.
4. Turn down the Oven to 150 Degrees Celsius 300 Fahrenheit and roast the walnuts on a dry baking sheet for 5 minutes till toasted but not burnt.
5. When ready to serve mix the sweet potato, lentils, toasted nuts and pomegranate in a bowl. Add the dressing and cheese if desired.