1. Baked Orange Salmon Fillet
This is one of my kids' favorites and makes great leftovers for sushi. It's a standard mid week meal and its leftovers make a great addition to a pesto pasta salad.
1 kilo salmon fillet
1/2 Fresh Orange
1. Sprinkle the Kosher salt on the Salmon Fille
t2. Zest the orange and sprinkle zest on fillet. Then halve the orange and squeeze the juice over the fillet.
3. Bake at 350 F or 200 C until it is firm and flakes in the middle. Around 25 minutes.
2. Traditional Salmon Fillet
1 kilo salmon fillet
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1. Salt and Pepper the fillet.
2. Zest and juice the Lemon over the fillet and then sprinkle with the dill.
3. Bake at 350 F or 200 C until it is firm and flakes in the middle.
Around 25 minutes.
3. Moroccan Fish
This recipe can be made with anything from salmon to tilapia, just adjust your cooking time accordingly. I make this recipe with quick cooking tilapia during my family friendly meals workshops and its always a hit!
1 kilo salmon fillet or 8 tilapia fillets
1 kilo 4 Potatoes
2 Garlic cloves
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Green Jalapeño Spicy pepper
1 Cup Frozen or canned garbanzo beans
2 Tablespoons Of Olive Oil
(for diabetics try substituting parsnip and butternut squash for the potatoes and carrots)
4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Sweet Paprika in Oil
1 Tablespoon CorianderSalt/ red pepper flakes to taste
GarnishFresh Lemon / cilantro or Parsley Leaves
1. Peel the vegetables and chop the onion and garlic. Chop the hot pepper last and remove the seeds based on desired hotness (seeds = heat ).
2. In a large wide pot heat the olive oil slightly and the sauté the onion and carrots. Add the Spice Mix. Stir 3 times.
3. Add 4-6 Cups of Water , mix well and bring to a boil.
4. Add the potatoes, beans and peppers to the broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Taste the broth and salt/ pepper accordingly. Then add the Salmon, lay the fillets carefully on top of the broth. (if using tilapia do not add until the potatoes are cooked through).
Sprinkle with salt and paprika on top of the salmon, then recover the pot for 10 minutes.
6. Check the fish and potatoes for doneness, the salmon should flake but be cooked (firm) in the middle and taste the broth again.
When everything is cooked through squeeze 1/2 a fresh lemon over the top and add the chopped cilantro (fresh coriander).
Cover the Pot and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Baked Salmon Three Ways
Salmon recipes are easy to make and can be a versatile part of your weekly menu.
I often include a salmon fillet recipe in my private cooking lessons when one family member, but not all the family, is vetarian. We designed a menu that could work for everyone, without a lot of extra fuss. I use fresh or frozen salmon fillets. When defrosting salmon make sure to do it slowly and defrost it fully before cooking..